POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2007 17:15:52
Message: <471e6488$1@news.povray.org>

471e47bd@news.povray.org...
> Gilles Tran <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote:
>> The
>> ability to write i++ instead of i=i+1 is not going to make better
>> pictures.
>> Improving the rendering engine will.
>
>  I don't remember seeing even one single post suggesting some concrete
> rendering algorithm idea which could be implemented in povray.

My point exactly :) With all the developers currently discussing the future
of POV-Ray, the major selling point of a renderer (i.e. rendering quality)
is mysteriously absent. And when one person dares showing up with some
interesting ideas and a working piece of software, the poor guy gets told
off because he *** gasp *** made the mistake of pressing twice on the send
key.

Really, rendering algorithms are all over the place these days and
implemented in many renderers, free or commercial.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/012553180X/qid=1080621276/sr=8-1

Implementing them is certainly challenging, but finding interesting
algorithms and looking at their various practical implementations is not.

G.