POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: somebody
Date: 23 Oct 2007 14:02:52
Message: <471e374c$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote

> The problem is that a lot of the SDL debate is grounded on the way things
> work in POV-Ray now, which is mid-1990 era CG technology. There's little
> discussion (but some misconceptions...) about the way things operate in
> other software, and why, and how they could be ported to a future POV-Ray.
> The SDL is important, but it's still a feature among many others. I mean,
> there are those new, exciting modelling and rendering technologies all
over
> the place, many of them available as open source or in publicly available
> papers and still the discussions are mostly about the friggin syntax. The
> ability to write i++ instead of i=i+1 is not going to make better
pictures.
> Improving the rendering engine will.

Right on the nail. SDL is great, but I hate to say it, is mostly academic
nowadays. Improving the engine, out of the box, no hassle farming, and
interface with popular modellers like Rhino which provide a plug-in SDK, is
what will make POV go forward.