POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sunny outdoor lighting : Re: Sunny outdoor lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunny outdoor lighting
From: Alain
Date: 23 Oct 2007 11:17:55
Message: <471e10a3@news.povray.org>
Sherry Shaw nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/22 19:16:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>
>> From the documentation:
>>
>> "The actual ambient used is: Ambient = Finish_Ambient * Global_Ambient."
>>
>> So if you set global ambient = 0 then it will work fine. If you want
>> nonzero
>> ambient light then it's better to use the #default finish { } and only
>> specify the ambient values you want to override.
>>

> Something that's sometimes useful is to give each object's finish some
> ambient value that will look OK for test renders (ambient 0.3 works
> pretty well).  If you then set the global ambient value to 0 for a
> radiosity render, the ambient value for the objects' textures will
> revert to 0.  If you need something in the final scene to have a
> non-zero ambient (for example, a glowing LED), set its ambient really
> high and then set the global ambient to something like 0.001, which will
> effectively kill the ambient in the other textures.
>
> Hope that's slightly useful...
>
> --Sherry Shaw

Even beter: use this "trick"
#declare Rad = 1;

have:
#if(Rad)radiosity{ your_radiosity_settings }#end

and add this to your finishes:
... #if(Rad)ambient 0 #else ambient 0.3 #end

Now, set Rad to 0 for the test renders and to 1 for the radiosity renders.
No ugly trick, only 1 variable to set.

--
Alain
Stay out of my head, its a bad neighborhood.