POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2007 11:08:51
Message: <471e0e83@news.povray.org>

message de news: 471dfcd7@news.povray.org...

> I'm not so sure how important it really is in comparison to the SDL-Debate
> when speaking of POV-Ray. Although POV-Ray has always been more a
> raytracer than a modeller, it's charm is the SDL.

The problem is that a lot of the SDL debate is grounded on the way things
work in POV-Ray now, which is mid-1990 era CG technology. There's little
discussion (but some misconceptions...) about the way things operate in
other software, and why, and how they could be ported to a future POV-Ray.
The SDL is important, but it's still a feature among many others. I mean,
there are those new, exciting modelling and rendering technologies all over
the place, many of them available as open source or in publicly available
papers and still the discussions are mostly about the friggin syntax. The
ability to write i++ instead of i=i+1 is not going to make better pictures.
Improving the rendering engine will.

> I second that. Although the "advertisement"-approach seems a little a out
> of place in these newsgroups (it's more the "Hey buddies, look what I
> found/did"-Approach) and a double post definitely is part of the problem
> in that regard as well (SPAM jumps to mind), new stuff, especially when
> concerned with 3D, rendering, raytracing and all that, should raise some
> interest.

This has happened a few times before, with folks posting about their project
only to be dimissed rather off-handedly. This guy wasn't posting about
V!agr4, but about an open source renderer so that people could at least take
the time to have a look before snarking. I remember posting about Indigo
some time ago, and the discussion ended up about evil it was to use XML as
an input file format. That's kind of depressing.

G.