POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 23 Oct 2007 09:53:27
Message: <471dfcd7@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
>>> Rendering with LuxRender means simulating light according to physical
>>> equations, this produces realistic photographic quality images.
>>  Fancy words, but what do they actually mean?
>
> Other unbiaised renderers have been available for a while now (Maxwell,
> Indigo, FryRender and the first two can be tested). I don't know how it
> works, but it's a definitely some fantastic CG technology. Slow like hell
> (like raytracing in the early 90s...), and still immature, but for
> architecture visualisation, it gives extremely impressive results if one can
> afford the bugs and the render times. For instance, Maxwell has a feature
> where one can change the lighting setup *** after *** rendering so that one
> can test various lighting situations in real time.
> That's really something worth investigating for POV-Ray 4. IMHO this is
> much, much more important than SDL.

I'm not so sure how important it really is in comparison to the
SDL-Debate when speaking of POV-Ray. Although POV-Ray has always been
more a raytracer than a modeller, it's charm is the SDL.

As for Maxwell's feature of changing the lighting setup: what is it
really capable of? Even if it's just changing the light's colors and
intensities, it definitely is a great feature... I'll have to look into
that, I guess (I'm a sucker for the technical stuff).

> <rant>The lack of interest here is a little bit worrying: if we were back in
> 1996 and Ryoychi Suzuki and Nathan Kopp were suddenly showing bizarre stuff
> called "isosurfaces" and "photon mapping", I guess that people would start
> snarking instead of showing some basic curiosity :( </rant>

I second that. Although the "advertisement"-approach seems a little a
out of place in these newsgroups (it's more the "Hey buddies, look what
I found/did"-Approach) and a double post definitely is part of the
problem in that regard as well (SPAM jumps to mind), new stuff,
especially when concerned with 3D, rendering, raytracing and all that,
should raise some interest.

Regards,
Tim

--