POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2007 09:13:44
Message: <471df388$1@news.povray.org>

471d0e43@news.povray.org...
> delle <del### [at] ciaowebit> wrote:
>> Rendering with LuxRender means simulating light according to physical
>> equations, this produces realistic photographic quality images.
>
>  Fancy words, but what do they actually mean?

Other unbiaised renderers have been available for a while now (Maxwell,
Indigo, FryRender and the first two can be tested). I don't know how it
works, but it's a definitely some fantastic CG technology. Slow like hell
(like raytracing in the early 90s...), and still immature, but for
architecture visualisation, it gives extremely impressive results if one can
afford the bugs and the render times. For instance, Maxwell has a feature
where one can change the lighting setup *** after *** rendering so that one
can test various lighting situations in real time.
That's really something worth investigating for POV-Ray 4. IMHO this is
much, much more important than SDL.

<rant>The lack of interest here is a little bit worrying: if we were back in
1996 and Ryoychi Suzuki and Nathan Kopp were suddenly showing bizarre stuff
called "isosurfaces" and "photon mapping", I guess that people would start
snarking instead of showing some basic curiosity :( </rant>

G.