POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: scott
Date: 23 Oct 2007 03:44:02
Message: <471da642$1@news.povray.org>
> No - I'd like 99% of my RAM available for doing *useful work*,

You could always install a minimum Linux build and use a plain-text editor
instead of MS Word.

What's your definition of useful work btw?  I think it would probably be
quite different to most other users of Windows.

> not just wasted because lazy programmers couldn't be bothered to fix their
> code.

Why on Earth should they optimise a program for minimum-RAM footprint that
uses only 10MB in the first place??!?!  It would be a total WASTE of time
and money for precisely ZERO benefit.

Sure, if your program is using a huge chunk of RAM then it would probably be
worth spending time trying to make sure it is optimised, but for something
that is only using 10MB in the first place it's a total waste of time.

In fact, I think the whole MS OS and Office apps have probably been
optimised for speed, not RAM usage, as todays machines have many times more
RAM than you could ever use by loading even 50 copies of Word and
PowerPoint.