POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sunny outdoor lighting : Re: Sunny outdoor lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunny outdoor lighting
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 22 Oct 2007 19:17:03
Message: <471d2f6f@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> From the documentation:
>
> "The actual ambient used is: Ambient = Finish_Ambient * Global_Ambient."
>
> So if you set global ambient = 0 then it will work fine. If you want nonzero
> ambient light then it's better to use the #default finish { } and only
> specify the ambient values you want to override.

Something that's sometimes useful is to give each object's finish some
ambient value that will look OK for test renders (ambient 0.3 works
pretty well).  If you then set the global ambient value to 0 for a
radiosity render, the ambient value for the objects' textures will
revert to 0.  If you need something in the final scene to have a
non-zero ambient (for example, a glowing LED), set its ambient really
high and then set the global ambient to something like 0.001, which will
effectively kill the ambient in the other textures.

Hope that's slightly useful...

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+