POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Bryan Valencia
Date: 22 Oct 2007 19:05:12
Message: <471d2ca8@news.povray.org>
zeroin23 wrote:
> why do we need POVSphere that is inherited from POVObject?

We don't really from a language standpoint, but if you (like me) want to
write a truly OO language then it would be truly useful.

> The idea is that developers can write plugin, and to interface it
> Library{
> "name of plugin", "function name", para1, para2, ...
> return: ret1, ret2,...
> }

It would be more efficient to use an OO language to send stuff directly
to the rendering engine rather than translate it all to SDL and then
parse it back to objects again 0.001 seconds later.  You have to know
that once POV parses your script, it is somehow becoming OO in the
bowels of the renderer.

> in terms of loading data like 3ds or meshes, the above plugin library will
> allow programmers to code for it.

That's cool but I want more.  I want to monkey with POV's brains! Mwahahaha!

--
Bryan Valencia

"I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair."