POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sunny outdoor lighting : Re: Sunny outdoor lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunny outdoor lighting
From: Alain
Date: 22 Oct 2007 12:03:45
Message: <471cc9e1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/22 05:37:
> Hi.
>
> This is probably a FAQ, but I can not manage to find its answer.
>
> I am looking for light settings for a sunny outdoor scene: deep blue sky,
> sharp shadows, but the parts in the shadow must still be visible.
>
> My base scene has this:
>
> light_source { <100000, 100000, -100000> rgb 2 }
> sky_sphere {
>   pigment {
>     gradient y
>     color_map {
>       [ 0.0 rgb <0.9, 0.9, 1> ]
>       [ 0.5 rgb <0.3, 0.3, 1> ]
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> The best I could do was to set the global_settings ambient_light to 3 and
> default radiosity, but I am not entirely satisfied, because the blue tint of
> the sky is distinctly visible.
>
> Can someone give me some advice, please?
Normaly, you should refrain from using ambient_light in the global_settings.
It's purpose is, in non-radiosity scenes, to give some overall colouration to
the ambient part of the finishes.
If you set is to 3, as you did, you effectively multiply the ambient value of
any finish by 3, whitch is not recomended i when using radiosity.

Have some non-blue objects outside the visible part of the scene masking part of
the sky.
Set gray-threshold to something like 0.5 to 0.8, it will desaturate the
radiosity samples, reducing the blueness somewhat.

--
Alain
Important letters that contain no errors will develop errors in the mail.