POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sunny outdoor lighting : Re: Sunny outdoor lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunny outdoor lighting
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2007 10:20:02
Message: <471cb192$1@news.povray.org>
>>   Well, if there isn't anything else to reflect than the blue sky, then
>> of
>> course objects will get a blue tint.
>
> I never noticed a blue tint in the sand of a beach, for example. At least,
> not as much as I see on my scene.

The problem is, when you are at a beach, everything else around you has the
same blue tint so you don't notice it.

If you could suddenly switch the sky from blue to grey overcast then you'd
surely notice.  Beware that cameras automatically adjust the colour tint
too, so comparing photos is no use unless you know they were taken with the
same colour-balance settings.

> Maybe the brain is compensating, but in that case, I would like advice on
> how to emulate this compensation.

Yes, the brain compensates for the illumination colour up to a certain
extent.  What it thinks should be a certain colour (eg white) it will see as
a certain colour and use the difference to determine the global lighting
colour and then the colour of unknown objects.  There are many optical
illusions that exploit the way the brain works in this situation.

> I wrote a minimal example to show the amount of difference I get. It is at
> the end.

How are you choosing the RGB values to use for the sky, sunlight and sand?
Those are probably not physically accurate...  Unless you have some
sophisticated optical measurement equipment, I suggest you just tweak with
these values until your scene looks the way you want it.  Also check your
gamma settings...