POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : We won! : Re: We won! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: We won!
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2007 09:23:57
Message: <471ca46d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well the official report was that they were not punished because the
>> fuel temperature could not be proved.
>
> Wasn't it at a lower temperature they could get more fuel into the tank?

No.

> Don't they keep a record of how much fuel is put in and then compare it to
> the tank capacity? I mean if at X degrees the tank will hold Y and at X-10
> it'll hold Z, bit of a smoking gun if they stuck Z in there.

This assumes the tank is filled to the brim - which it hardly ever is.  Most
drivers made 2 or 3 stops during the race, IIRC most cars can do about
60-70% race distance when filled right to the brim with fuel.

The main reasons for doing it are to speed up the refilling process and the
engine also develops slightly more power on lower temperature fuel - but
this effect is only for a lap or two before the fuel heats up to ambient
temperature.

I don't know where the quoted temperature measurements come from, but
presumably they were not reliable or accurate enough to actually make a
disqualification.

>> But the funny bit is that McLaren are presumably asking for the teams
>> concerned to be punished and have their drivers points taken away.  This
>> is the McLaren who had all their team points taken away and narrowly
>> avoided having all their driver points taken away too... they should be
>> careful.
>
> Sounds like a 'why did we get hit and not them?'

But McLaren only got team points, not driver points, taken away for a much
more serious offence.  They are campaigning to get driver points taken away
from yesterdays race (so they can win the drivers championship), seems silly
when they narrowly missed having drivers points taken away from their own
team...