POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Annoying problem : Re: Annoying problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Annoying problem
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2007 07:08:30
Message: <471c84ae$1@news.povray.org>
> CRT-wise I generally need to run at 72Hz or higher;

I think that's about average from my limited sample size :-)  For me, even
at 72/75Hz, when showing large white areas I can see the flicker.  I used to
have mine set at 85 IIRC.

> LCDs I can get away  with 60Hz, but I get this odd 'sensation' in my
> eyes/head that something's  not quite right.

Is that with all LCDs?  Although light output from LCD remains virtually
constant during a frame, badly designed/adjusted LCDs can have slightly
different brightnesses between odd and even frames.  This is because the
average voltage needs to be 0V across LC otherwise bad things happen, you
get around this by applying (eg) 4V one frame, -4V next frame, then 4V, etc.
Usually each horizontal line is driven with opposite polarity, so even if
there is some small difference it averages out spatially each frame.  Even
better LCDs drive each pixel with opposite polarity (in a checkerboard
pattern) so it is virtually impossible to notice any flicker even when the
+/- are matched very badly.

Standard test patterns we use here are black/white horizontal lines and 1
pixel checkerboard patterns, these highlight any problems that would
otherwise be disguised with areas of plain colour.  Maybe give it a try?

> CRT TVs at 50Hz are okay at a distance and for short  periods of time, but
> as I've mentioned the LCD ones just do my head in.  Heh all sounds totally
> contradictory, but that's how I see things not as  if I can take my
> complaints to the designer.

You can tell me :-)  Do you have the problems with LCD with static images
too, or is it just moving pictures?