POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Annoying problem : Re: Annoying problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Annoying problem
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2007 06:14:08
Message: <471c77f0@news.povray.org>
> Not bulbs, but I know the tubes hum seem to increase in pitch and they
> start flickering before they go. I spot it more often in shops (prevalence
> of such lights), but the wierd thing if I point it out to someone or a
> sales guy they just get a blank look. If it was all of the lights doing it
> I'd say it was me, but it's just some. Oh and for some reason the flicker
> shows up more in reflecting light, browsing one section of DVDs I had to
> stop as it was like a strobe effect.
>
> Anyone else with the same thing or should I just submit myself to the
> nearest lab for scientific study and dissection :-)

Yeh, I think your eye is more sensitive to flicker away from the centre
high-resolution bit.  Often on my gf's parents old CRT (the only one I ever
use nowadays) I can see it flicker out of the corner of my eye when
displaying a whitish image (eg google website), but when I stare directly at
it it looks fine.

Also, as I understand, the amount of flicker visible varies quite a lot
person to person.  What you see as annoying flicker someone else might not
even notice.