POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface : Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 21 Oct 2007 16:39:07
Message: <471bb8eb@news.povray.org>
Leef_me wrote:
> That does indeed <solved> the problem. And in understand the concept of
> coincident surfaces. I failed to try translating the text in that axis.
> I have experienced coincident surfaces as a random pixelation between the
> two surfaces.
>
> What I don't understand and what really through me was that it wasn't the
> whole string. Just the top left at the start of the string was cut off at
> an angle.

Yeah, you would expect the same random pixelation to occur, not the
strange angled cut. It seems to be due to how POV handles object
pigments. I'm getting the same effect with every flat object I try.

> Thanks for the solution, now I start to comprehend the code.

You're welcome. It's nice to see somebody passing through a difficult
problem :)

If you *really* want to make sure it never happens again, you can make
the object pigment infinitely long in the z-axis by changing your object
pigment like so:

pigment_pattern{
  object{my_text 0,1}
  translate<1.5,0,0>
  warp{planar}
}

As long as you made the first 'translate' in the text object's
definition, this should work just fine.

Sam