POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: HL2:Ep2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HL2:Ep2
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Oct 2007 07:46:00
Message: <4719ea78$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Once again Valve failed to disappoint with this game. It's very immersive
> and addictive from the very start. I'm also impressed about the amount of
> graphics and special effects they have succeeded in putting in the levels
> and still maintain a very good framerate. (It barely doesn't reach the
> level of detail of Oblivion, but OTOH it has a much better framerate.)

As I have written previously, I have been quite dissapointed with HL2
and HL2:EP1.

*This* game, however, is FUN. (Remember fun? Fun is good...)

>   I like the strong storylines of the HL2 series.
>
>   Most FPS games have very weak, almost inexistent storylines, where the
> makers clearly haven't put too many resources in them.

...as in, "you are the last survivor, trapped alone on the alien
homeworld. Try to stay alive!"

>   Not so with the HL2 series. The stories are believable and interesting,
> and they have clearly put a lot of effort in merging the plot and the
> gameplay, to make it more interesting.

HL1 kind of had more of a concept of a story than most. (In particular,
you play through the beginning of the "story" - which was novel at the
time.) HL2 takes it slightly further. But it's really EP1 and EP2 where
the story element becomes quite strong.

>   In the past some FPS games have tried the concept of NPC sidekicks, and
> usually failed miserably.

Yeah, this is a rather tough game design challenge.

Real humans possess a level of intelligence that AI designers can
currently only dream about. So you have to somehow make an NPC who won't
die too easily, but isn't too invincible either. They have to be able to
help you in a battle, but not win the whole thing for you. And -
possibly hardest of all - they have to act believably whatever the
player decides to do. (How the heck are the designers supposed to
anticipate that one? Well, they can't really...)

>   Again, not so in the HL2 series, especially episodes 1 and 2. The
> sidekicks are actually helpful and not annoying at all. They really are
> very strong allies in fighting, and they mostly know how to keep out
> of your way. Also if they are blocking
> your way in a narrow passage, they usually move away quite promptly when
> needed.

Especially in HL2, allies getting in your way seemed to be a constant
problem. They seem to have fixed this in EP1 and EP2.

>   Also, the allies (especially Alyx) are not just dumb gameplay elements,
> but add to the plot.

Some *real* plot twists in EP2... heh. (What the heck is that G-Man
actually up to, anyway?)

> <nerd mode>
>   It's also cool to drive with Alyx at your side. It almost feels like
> in a date.
> </nerd mode>

<ubernerd mode>
   I'll have to take your word for that one...
</ubernerd mode>

(BTW, is there a *reason* why she always has to climb into the car
starting from your side? What's wrong with the *door* on her side?? Is
it just so you get to have a look at her cute high-polygon butt?)