POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Oct 2007 04:24:21
Message: <4719bb35$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>> PS. Do you have HL2:EP2? I can't complete [what is probably] the final
>> battle. It's just too hard.
>
> I found it very difficult also. The trick seems to be taking out as many
> hunters as you can before working on the striders, since the hunters destroy
> the magnessons.

This is a problem. The Hunters can't die. (Or rather, they can't die
unless you unload your entire ammo supply at them for about 5 minutes.
Then *one* of them dies. But there's still 7 others waiting to be
killed. Oh, assuming they don't surround you and kill you first...)

> You definitely have more than 20 seconds though if you
> handle them one at a time.

Yeah, but... in spite of the radar, I can't *find* them until they're
practically on top of the base. I then have about 20 seconds to take 'em
out. (And they all arrive at once...)

> Taking down the hunters is the hardest part; you
> can accumulate explosives ahead of time (bring them to the beginning of the
> area, the choke point that all striders will have to pass through). You can
> also take any hunter out with the alternate fire of the combine pulse rifle
> (don't miss! quicksave ahead of time) or a couple rockets. When you run out
> of those and explosives, try running them over with your car. When all else
> fails use the shotgun.

I can't find any damn ammo anywhere. I keep ending up with almost none left.

The car seems to be the only fast way to kill a hunter. But the car is
so utterly uncontrolable, and the hunters are so nimble... well, you
don't stand much of a chance. (The only other way is the orb fire from
the pulse rifle. But then we're talking 100% pure luck as to whether you
hit or not. And you only get 3 shots in the entire game.)

> If you drive around, and you should at first to make use of the items in the
> more distant buildings, use the magnesson holder on the back of your car.

Damn right. All the other supply dealies have already been blown up, so
every time I miss with a magnesson, I have to drive 20 minutes back to
the base to get another one... :-(

> If at any point a strider is getting too close, start using magnessons on it
> even if there are still hunters around. If you've taken out enough of the
> hunters you can sometimes get the strider anyway.

This is basically what I'm reduced to doing. Hoping I can take out all
five striders by pure pot luck. So far I've replayed the same 90 seconds
of game endlessly for about half an hour, and I just can't take 'em all
out fast enough. :-{