POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : What I did on my summer vacation.... : Re: What I did on my summer vacation.... Server Time
18 Jun 2024 09:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I did on my summer vacation....
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2007 21:56:48
Message: <47196060$1@news.povray.org>
William Tracy nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/18 15:25:
> Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
>
> I've off and on toyed with the idea of building some image (probably in
> SVG--rasters would be too big) of the solar system with all the sizes
> and distances *to scale*.
>
> Of course, I'd be hard-pressed to do that and still have it be as
> artistic as yours. :-)

I once built a scale model of the Solar system: it was about 4m LONG. The
planets where enlarged 1000 times relative to the distances, and the Sun only
100 times. At that scale, the Earth and Venus where represented by ordinary
mercery pins, Mercury, Mars and Pluto where headless pins, and Jupiter was 9mm
in diameter, Saturn was about 7mm. Had to scale back the Sun, otherwise, it
would have overlaped over Venus's orbit!
It was an expo-science project, and peoples where EXTREMELY impressed by all
that empty space... and got a better understanding of the dificulties posed by
interplanetary travels, to say nothing about interstelars ones.

--
Alain
Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind,