POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FM synthesis : Re: FM synthesis Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FM synthesis
From: Halbert
Date: 18 Oct 2007 19:30:02
Message: <4717ec7a$1@news.povray.org>
Just going by my own ancient experience working with DX7s and similar
synths. When the modulating wave form is not an even multiple of the carrier
wave, you will tend to get more metallic tymbres. I don't know what's going
on with FM synthesis these days, but <old geezer voice> back in my day, all
we had was sine waves to synthesize with-- and that's the way we liked
it!</old geezer voice> And as such, if you wanted something closer to a
sawtooth wave you would add harmonics on the octaves above the carrier.
To get something more akin to pots and pans, one might add harmonics that
were 1.5 octaves above the carrier, etc.

Of course, none of that may make any sense to anyone. ;-)