POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FM synthesis : Re: FM synthesis Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FM synthesis
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 18 Oct 2007 15:24:39
Message: <4717b2f7$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Does anybody know how to do FM synthesis?
>
> I mean, I understand the math and so on and so forth. What I can't get
> round is that even with a seemingly "infinite" range of possibilities to
> play with, every single sound I make sounds virtually identical. It's
> just not very sonically interesting. No matter how you wire up the
> operators, all you get is a sound that you can adjust from harsh hissing
> to pure sine tones.
>
> Does anybody know how to do this stuff properly?

Isn't that essentially all you can get out of an FM synth? Tinny bleeps
and blurps, with a buzz here and there. I remember having an FM synth
card when I was younger. I got the patch editor for it. I realized why
there were no new sounds. None actually exist. IIRC, you've essentially
got 2 waveforms, a full sine and a half, sine (almost like a sawtooth
but, sine curve until the sharp transition)

It sucked.

Good luck :D