POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can we stop the flame wars? : Re: Can we stop the flame wars? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:33:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we stop the flame wars?
From: scott
Date: 18 Oct 2007 04:29:23
Message: <47171963$1@news.povray.org>
>> Normally I would suggest you grow a thicker skin, but in this case maybe
>> just a skin,... or a membrane,... or something.
>
> Why? as I mentioned - I can live with it. The issue is when new users post
> polite, genuine questions and then end up sitting through arguments and
> abuse. and why should they have to put up with that crap?

Because, like almost every other internet forum, there are people here with
a lot of time to spare nit-picking every post they can find purely for the
reason of starting an argument.

For these people their brains seems to work like:

1) Oh, parsing that post it seems part of it could be read as not making
complete sense.
2) Reply stating this fact in a manner that makes you seem to have the logic
of a super-computer but the common-sense of a lemming, no matter how trivial
or irrelevant the remark is to the thread subject.

However most other people work like this:

1) That bit doesn't really make sense, I wonder what they meant by that?
2a) Oh, I worked out what he probably meant, no worries.
-- or --
2b) Hmm, still can't work it out, but it's not important for the thread.
-- or --
2c) OK I don't get this, reply asking to explain again as it appears to not
make sense.