POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 17 Oct 2007 16:41:42
Message: <47167386@news.povray.org>
>> Indeed. And in fact, the discussion was not even *about* folds, so the
>> error was entirely incidental and didn't in any way alter the point I was
>> actually making, but still...
>
>     Hey, yeah, well... But did you correct the mistake afterwards on the
> list and explain?

Didn't seem worth it. To be honest, I'm tired of getting flamed every
single damn time I speak...

>>>      Well, there you go. That was nice of him/her.
>> Yeah. And unprovoked... (He said that me and some other guy where the
>> people who's opinions he most respected. Interesting...)
>
>      Maybe he's the same as you, and learnt Haskell the hard way as you did.

I think the majority of people there have... Apart from the university
professors, anyway.

>> I guess it's just that I sit here all alone all day with nobody to talk
>> to, and even on *this* forum I can't discuss Haskell (because nobody knows
>> WTF I'm talking about nor actually gives a damn anyway). There's a lot of
>> very intelligent people on the Haskell mailing list, but clearly people
>> like me aren't welcome. And that really quite upsets me...
>
>     Don't be silly, I'm interested. I'd love to learn some kind of language,
> and from all of your descriptions and posts about Haskell, it would probably
> be my first choice, (apart from maybe LUA because I've already learnt a
> 'small' part of that from editing my own level with Sandbox1<Farcry Game
> Editor>).

Well, I've posted about Haskell before, but I think those all expired
now. I can put something up on one of the off-topic lists for ya if
you'd like...? (Including how to set up an environment to play with.)

>       Anyway, when the HELL are you going to do *something* with *your* life
> Andrew! Are you going to be here in 2010 still moaning, or are you going to
> take the bull by the horns and actually DO something that we can be proud of
> at that time? Jeez mate, I can bet that a LOT of us here in these groups
> have gone through getting our lives sorted out, but the weird thing is, I
> bet none of us were *told* to do it - we just DID it because we had to.
>
>      It's called... Life. (Which I feel you know absolutely nothing about).

Yeah, well, that's just it, isn't it?

We've had this conversation plenty of times before. It keeps coming back
to the fact that I have no clue what TO do. Because I have no prior
experience to draw on. And - judging by the number of times it's been
discussed - nobody can explain it to me either. Maybe it's something
that can't be expressed in words, I don't know...

Anyway, I'm struggling along as best I know how. It's just not getting
me very far. :-S