POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 17 Oct 2007 16:20:24
Message: <47166e88$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> shilling 1
> New kid on the block syndrome

Yeah, probably.

> shilling 2
> Old geezer on the stick syndrome

Well, if you've seen the photos, there *are* a lot of people with beards.

(I recent survey found that 70% of people wouldn't trust a man with a
beard to sell them a used car. Obviously, the missing information here
is the percentage of people who would trust *anybody* to sell them a
used car!)

> I think you are viewed as relatively new in the Haskell group.  The Mr
> PhDs (it seems there are a couple) see you as a nuisance.

Yeah, probably.

The first time I was flamed, it was simply for talking too much. In
fairness, I was generating approximately 70% of all the traffic on the
list. (So... like povray.off-topic then! Except that's NNTP, and this is
the much more primitive SMTP. If I say something, *everybody* has to
read it. I suggested that they should switch to NNTP, and... got flamed
again. Well, no, not "flamed"... just vocal disagreement.)

The second time I got flamed was for asking questions about things that
aren't Haskell. (E.g., "what is Usenet?")

I don't remember what the third time was now...

> In the same token it seems that the way you are positing information is
> rubbing more than one person wrong.  Are you 100% sure that your answers
> are correct???  Or is it a gut feeling that is likely correct.  If it is
> the latter and you come across as the former, you are just making sticks
> longer.

Basically I stepped on the guy's favourit branch of mathematics. I wrote
statements which could be construed as indicating that category theory
is uncomprehensible and irrelevant. Now I know for a fact just how
frustrating it is when every single human being I encounter thinks
exactly the same thing about Haskell, so that's probably why I was flamed.

(Oh yeah, and I mixed up a left-fold and a right-fold. Not that the
conversation was *about* folds or that it was in any way relevant to the
discussion I was having... I just wanted an example to illustrate
something, and I make a simple [and irrelevant] mistake. Oh well!)

> IMHO, maybe you could flip this whole thing on it's head.
> Mr. jerzy & co (in the subject).....  and apologize if you've offended
> him, state that you are trying to learn life (not just Haskell) and are
> working on it.

Actually, given how generally unwelcome I am, I think what I'm going to
do is resubscribe, but simply refrain from posting anything that isn't a
specific question or a specific answer. You know, talk like a machine.
People generally don't get mad at machines. (Except when they break...)