POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Bryan Valencia
Date: 17 Oct 2007 15:36:37
Message: <47166445$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I think the main problem with this approach is that you assume you
> always know what is in the file. That is a dangerous assumption if you
> write a library. It is also not important from a POV point of view,
> whatever it is that you load, you can translate, scale and texture it,
> so it is an object.
> Warp's question was if .obj files can be anything apart from meshes i.e.
> if it can harm if you put the result in a mesh. Technically for an .obj
> file there may not be a danger, but conceptually it is wrong because
> other files can contain other objects and you don't want .obj loading
> routines to behave different from, say, .off files.

Typical behavior in the programming world is that when a mesh tries to
open another file, it acts the same as when you (for instance) try to
open a .wav file in paint.  You would get an exception.

If there were a wavefront object file were opened by a
nurb.loadfromobj(), it would raise an exception.  The filename is
irrelevant, except to make it a little easier to use the default
file-open dialogs on it.

Think of it this way:  if you load an image in POV of type "jpeg" and a
filename of "MyImage.png", the parser barfs.  Ditto if you did #include
"command.com".

It would be the same here - the language can't load raw SDL into a Mesh
container.

--
Bryan Valencia

"I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair."