POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: andrel
Date: 17 Oct 2007 15:13:44
Message: <47165FEC.5060300@hotmail.com>
Jérôme M. Berger wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Bruno Cabasson <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote:
>>> In order to keep current syntax spirit, I would rather propose something
>>> like:
>>   The problem is that it hard-codes that the imported object is a mesh.
>> (Can .obj files contain other things too, such as NURBS or whatever?)
>>
> 	.obj files can't, but other formats can. So how about:
>
> victoria = object {
>    load_file {obj "victoria.obj" [obj-specific options]}
>    //load_file {3ds "zorg.3ds" [3ds-specific options]}

> }
>
> object { victoria }
>
> 	This would apply to formats that contain other object types, while
> keeping a syntax that's closer to the current one.

I would say that your line

   victoria = object {

should be

   #define victoria = object {

Or something similar, because I would like to see a difference between
defining an object that may or may not be used more than once, and
naming an object for future reference. So 'victoria = object {...'
should IMHO also create the object and not only define it as a shorthand
for later reference. (hmm, do I make myself clear?)