POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Oct 2007 14:45:48
Message: <4716585c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:34:18 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   I wasn't asking what the ISP can do. I was asking what the police can
>   do.
> In most countries there are limits on how the police can spy on people
> (so that the evidence is valid in court).

Over here they need a warrant - and for a warrant, they have to
demonstrate to a court (could be a 'normal' court, could be the FISA
court) that there is probable cause.

If they have a warrant and go to the ISP, the ISP has two choices:  Turn
over the information requested in the warrant, or challenge the
authorities in court.

Perhaps it's a question of ownership - in the US (at least), the data
housed by the ISP is owned by the ISP, not the users of the ISP.  The
records of your activities online are not owned by the individual, AFAIK.

Jim