POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Oct 2007 14:43:38
Message: <471657da$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:36:03 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> and that your use of the service
>> constitutes agreement with this policy.
>
>   No agreement can go against the law. At least not here.

It's legal AFAIK in the US to permit a TOS or EULA to require users give
up some of their rights in exchange for services or products.  Of course,
shrink-wrap laws like that haven't been fully tested in the US courts, so
it's possible it's not legal to do so, but it would take someone actually
challenging it court to invalidate it.

It's not automatically invalidated over here.

>   For example, if a license agreement of a software says that you cannot
> make backup copies of it, that's just not valid. You can accept the
> license agreement and still make backup copies. They have nothing
> against you.

Is it written into Finnish law that you can make backup copies of
software?  That would seem to me to be a case of "management by
exception" - I'd be interested in how that's codified in the laws over
there.

Jim