POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: Tom Austin
Date: 17 Oct 2007 09:55:54
Message: <4716146a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Hi guys. I'm back.
>
> For a while I've been hanging around the Haskell mailing list. But I've
> just been flamed yet again (and not by the same person either), so
> clearly I'm just not wanted there. :-(
>
> But hey, you guys still love me, right?

This is a long one!

Andrew,
	I haven't followed the entire thread here so I don't know everything
that's been said.
	I did take the time just now to find the Haskell list that this all
happened on.  I even found the thread.  I didn't read all of the
messages (Haskell is not my cup of tea), but I think I read enough to
put in my 2 shillings :-)

shilling 1
New kid on the block syndrome
	We recently hired a new person.  Within 3 months he was telling me how
I should do my job.  I've been doing my job for 8 years!  I have worked
very hard to figure out the things that I have put in place.  Now much
of that is actually being challenged.  But worse, the challenge is from
someone arrogant enough to think he knows how it should be done.  To
this person this makes sense and is what should be done.  To me I see a
different point - I've been there before and decided that it didn't make
sense and should NOT be done.  The biggest problem is that there is
nothing in place to corral the new person's energy and utilize it in a
good way.  The hardest thing is that the person feels that they are
doing the right thing - even if it is completely wrong - and come across
very arrogant and even condescending at times.  VERY FRUSTRATING

which brings me to

shilling 2
Old geezer on the stick syndrome
	How one responds to the new kid on the block is very defining of their
character.
	Some sit up on a stick very high.  They use their stick to beat down
those who oppose their thought.  They are right, you are wrong, and you
better get in line.  A lot of the time they rely on authority to get
things done because it is easiest.
	I admire those who have the stick, yet use it gently to nurture those
who may not know as much.  They tend to reply on respect to get things
done, and they earn the respect.

I think you are viewed as relatively new in the Haskell group.  The Mr
PhDs (it seems there are a couple) see you as a nuisance.  They have all
of the answers and when you post something they disagree with, they are
there to set you straight.  They are sitting mighty high with their
sticks up their....  I better keep it clean - this message I mean :-o.
Not a lot of people are like this, but it only takes one to ruin the fun.

In the same token it seems that the way you are positing information is
rubbing more than one person wrong.  Are you 100% sure that your answers
are correct???  Or is it a gut feeling that is likely correct.  If it is
the latter and you come across as the former, you are just making sticks
longer.

This kind of stuff is all over the place.  I've experienced it myself -
from both sides of the picture.  I've been the new kid that know what
needs done and forces others to eat it.  I've also been the old geezer
who doesn't know how to handle the new kid who knows what needs done.

What I am scared of is becoming one of the old geezers - a very bad one.
And I don't want to be the BAD kid on the block.

I work very hard to try to 'fluff' my input so that it is seen more as
an opinion, or just another way of doing things, but not THE way.  Of
course there are times when I believe very strongly about something.
But having that stance should be user sparingly as it leads to being the
BAD kid on the block.

I also work very hard in not slamming the new kid on the block (the new
guy we hired).  I find it most challenging when he is being very
forceful in what he thinks right and I know from experience or from a
different perspective that he is not.  My natural tendency is to use
authority to tell him to shut up - I try VERY hard to not go this route.
  But if something hits wrong, it might come out before I can build a
good response.
I really try to help the person see that their point is not fact as they
make it, but more opinion and is not necessarily the only method.  Then
I try to get the person to see some different view points that may
contradict their view.  If they actually have a good idea, I try to
recognize it and give credit where credit is due.

I find all of this VERY hard to do, and I wish I didn't have to deal wit
it.  It is not my natural tendency - I am my way is the right way type.
  So I by default am a very BAD new kid on the block, but also a very
BAD geezer with a stick shoved....

So, the challenge in life is to use experiences like you just hit to
become a better person.  To see behavior that you don't want to become
and take steps to make sure it does not happen.

IMHO, maybe you could flip this whole thing on it's head.
Mr. jerzy & co (in the subject).....  and apologize if you've offended
him, state that you are trying to learn life (not just Haskell) and are
working on it.  Just like him, you are working hard to learn Haskell and
help others learn it.  Ask for him to help you when you mis-speak.  And
tell him that unless he has tried to help that he has NO right to flame
you like he has done in the past.
	Then if you get flamed again, don't try to defend you position to a
flame, it's useless.  Just have a canned response - a good one can
discredit their flame.  If you have a text doc with it, then you can
just simply copy and paste.  State something like:

OK Mr high and mighty - whatever you say
Thanks for trying to help others learn something by using a flame.
I'm trying to give back to this group because I have gotten so much out
of it.
If I am wrong is what I said, then help correct it so that we can all
know better.

Respond the same every time.  Pretty soon your response is so expected
that the flame has no effect and other ignore it.  This has a good
potential for flames to actually build others' respect for you.

This way you are able to accomplish some things
You can learn how to approach things a bit *milder* and communicating
better.
You can possibly help someone else do the same.
You can then get to learning Haskell.
IMHO, learning life is much more important, but not as fun, as learning
Haskell

or

Your message to him starts a flame war so hot that it melts the group -
but I think others would but on their fire extinguishers before that
happens.

In my opinion (see, I'm working on this presentation stuff) the problem
is not only the geezer - it is also the new kid on the block.  Hopefully
you can take at least some good from this and move onward and upward.

LAter... Tom