POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back : Re: I'm back Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm back
From: St
Date: 16 Oct 2007 17:12:27
Message: <4715293b$1@news.povray.org>
news:47151d35$1@news.povray.org...
>>> In this instance, the problem seems to be that I stepped on somebody's
>>> favourit branch of mathematics. (I made statements that could be
>>> construed as implying that category theory is incomprehensible and/or
>>> pointless. What I was *actually* trying to say is that you don't need to
>>> be an expert in category theory to use Haskell...) I also posted an
>>> evaluation tree that contained a minor technical error (I mixed up a
>>> left-fold and a right-fold). So I got flamed to hell.
>>
>>      Ok, a mistake was made - no biggy. It happens. You *are* human,
>> aren't you Andrew?  ;)
>
> Indeed. And in fact, the discussion was not even *about* folds, so the
> error was entirely incidental and didn't in any way alter the point I was
> actually making, but still...

    Hey, yeah, well... But did you correct the mistake afterwards on the
list and explain?

>>> Interestingly, after I left somebody else piped up with "you're picking
>>> on HIM?? That's insane! He's one of the few non-PhDs who's actually
>>> interested in the language and you have a go at him. And people wonder
>>> why nobody uses Haskell..."
>>
>>      Well, there you go. That was nice of him/her.
>
> Yeah. And unprovoked... (He said that me and some other guy where the
> people who's opinions he most respected. Interesting...)

     Maybe he's the same as you, and learnt Haskell the hard way as you did.

>>    Resubscribe with a new moniker of 'PurpleHaaaaaaze' and give 'em some
>> crap (code-wise) just for fun. Go frit. <eg>
>
> lolz!

    :)

>>    Don't take what's happened to you seriously. Those guys are bored out
>> of their minds and you were the next best thing to having some excitement
>> in their lives - really. They're probably embarrased that you know what
>> you do, and were just looking to put you down because you're better than
>> them. (At least, tell yourself that 10 times a day!)  :)
>
> Who are you trying to kid? I'm the only guy on the list without a PhD in
> some highly advanced disciplin. :-P

  Stuff the PhD's. Really, ask them what they've actually DONE with their
PhD's and you won't get an answer unless someone is honest and says: "I'm
raking in a fortune and sitting on my arse doing... Nothing". Fair play to
them, I told you they were bored...  ;)

> I guess it's just that I sit here all alone all day with nobody to talk
> to, and even on *this* forum I can't discuss Haskell (because nobody knows
> WTF I'm talking about nor actually gives a damn anyway). There's a lot of
> very intelligent people on the Haskell mailing list, but clearly people
> like me aren't welcome. And that really quite upsets me...

    Don't be silly, I'm interested. I'd love to learn some kind of language,
and from all of your descriptions and posts about Haskell, it would probably
be my first choice, (apart from maybe LUA because I've already learnt a
'small' part of that from editing my own level with Sandbox1<Farcry Game
Editor>).

      Anyway, when the HELL are you going to do *something* with *your* life
Andrew! Are you going to be here in 2010 still moaning, or are you going to
take the bull by the horns and actually DO something that we can be proud of
at that time? Jeez mate, I can bet that a LOT of us here in these groups
have gone through getting our lives sorted out, but the weird thing is, I
bet none of us were *told* to do it - we just DID it because we had to.

     It's called... Life. (Which I feel you know absolutely nothing about).

        ~Steve~