POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: scott
Date: 15 Oct 2007 10:22:10
Message: <47137792$1@news.povray.org>
>> How are they meant to catch people downloading illegal material without
>> spying on you?  Don't ISPs already report suspected illegal activity to
>> the police?
>
> There is a difference between the ISP scanning their own traffic logs in
> accordance with their own terms of service, and the police requiring
> that the ISP scan, log, and report everything directly to them.

Can't the police demand info from ISPs if they suspect some customers (or
users of a website they host) to be acting illegally?  I'm not an expert at
the law in this area, but it seems like common sense says the police should
(and do) get this information if they need it to help convince someone of a
crime.