POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Confusing Error message : Re: Confusing Error message Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confusing Error message
From: Warp
Date: 15 Oct 2007 07:00:28
Message: <4713484b@news.povray.org>
zeroin23 <zer### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Possible Parse Error: Degenerate cylinder, base point = apex point."

  I agree that that message could have more info in it.

  I suppose that the message (or at least its idea) is "inherited" from the
days when there were no #while loops. In that case just seeing the line
where the error happened was enough because the line was interpreted just
once and that's it. Thus it was the exact unique spot where the error is.

  However, nowadays since the same line can be interpreted several times
if it's eg. inside a #while loop, knowing the only line number may not be
enough know what the problem is.

  Perhaps the message could indeed also tell what is the exact point
which is being equal. It might also perhaps tell how many objects have
already been successfully created (this could help track down how many
loops have been executed until the error happened).

  I wonder how hard would it be to add some kind of error/warning catching.
In other words, when an error or warning happens, some SDL code is executed.
(Then you could write there eg. #debug commands which output values of loop
variables, etc. This would help a lot debugging.)

--
                                                          - Warp