POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVray Wiki : Re: POVray Wiki Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVray Wiki
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Oct 2007 15:44:57
Message: <471271b9$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14.10.2007 21:21, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :
> Chris has asked me to help out with getting a MediaWiki installation set
> up so we can document a number of things, among which are the suggestions
> for 4.0.
>
> I'm still in the process of getting things configured, but wanted to get
> a discussion going about the structure - as Wikis tend to be pretty free-
> form, having an idea about how we want to structure things makes a lot of
> sense.
>
> We can break things down by POV version, for example; that would give us
> distinct discussion areas for 3.6, 3.7, and 4.0.
>
> As the prospective users of this system, what would be a useful structure
> for you?

Setup 3 pages full of links for 3.6, 3.7 and 4.0 if you want.
But I would be more interested in entries being sorted by:

  0/ data structures in memory of the renderer (no syntax, no SDL !)
  1/ shapes (pure shape, no texturing: think sphere/plane... also
all isosurfaces & functions)
  2/ textures (plains, all possibles tunning: pigment, finish,
normal...)
  3/ patterns (when unrelated to the shape)
  4/ cameras
  5/ light sources
  6/ media & fog (every 3D density related...)
  7/ shapes & pattern together (such as UV mapping)
  8/ goodies for any objects (shapes with textures) (such as no_image)
  9/ syntaxical goodies (#macro, #declare... but also all builtin
functions)
  10/ miscellenous (global_settings, but also any other things such
as data access from object)
  11/ known patches & unofficial

Expect 1 page per specific object, with flag/logo about availability
in which versions.
(Yes, that means strlen() might end up with its own page! linked to
both the string page (taken as argument) and the integer page
(result). String/Float/Vector3D/Vector2D/Vector4D/Vector5D/integer
pages in the section 9)

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.