POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface : Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface
From: Warp
Date: 14 Oct 2007 04:33:34
Message: <4711d45e@news.povray.org>
Marty Schrader <mar### [at] parsecsystemsinccom> wrote:
> What you are telling me is that I need to create a complex 3D object and
> manipulate it all over the place in order to paint 2D text. I gotta take a 3D
> object and slice it off with an implied intersection to make a 2D pattern, which
> I can then use to...Oy!

  No. I already gave you the solution in my other post (using the object
pattern). Perhaps you didn't read it? It's here:

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#cylindricalrepeat

> By the way, strlen() returns a float? I have only been doing this C stuff for 25
> years or so, but a float?!?

  POV-Ray doesn't have integers. All numerical values are floats. Hence
strlen() returns a float (even though the value of this float will always
be an integer).

> And in the last 32 years I can't recall coming
> across any language spec where the builtins were index by their return type as
> opposed to the operational group to which they belonged.

  Well, the POV-Ray documentation classifies the functions by their
return value type. It's a simple way of classifying them.

> And the length should be a character count instead of some
> graphic index, eh?

  strlen() returns the character count.

--
                                                          - Warp