POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface : Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 13 Oct 2007 21:17:47
Message: <47116e3b$1@news.povray.org>
> What you are telling me is that I need to create a complex 3D object and
> manipulate it all over the place in order to paint 2D text. I gotta take a
> 3D object and slice it off with an implied intersection to make a 2D
> pattern, which I can then use to...Oy!

The typical method that I use for this sort of thing is to use image_maps.
It seems perty straight-forward to me, I wouldn't say that lack of a text
pattern makes much difference, either way you'll end up having to scale
the resulting words pigment to look right.

The text object, and the object pattern are handy in some cases,
but they are not replacements for layered textures.