POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface : Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface
From: Marty Schrader
Date: 13 Oct 2007 19:52:15
Message: <47115a2f$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the heads up on strlen().

A "text pattern"? Okay, see, this is the part that kills me. What I wish to do
is paint some simple, flat, non-complex text on to the surface of some object.
This would seem to be a fairly common operation and one which would seem to call
for its own painting mechanism. I see quite a few requests for help on this
subject here on this group and in some of the other POV groups.

What you are telling me is that I need to create a complex 3D object and
manipulate it all over the place in order to paint 2D text. I gotta take a 3D
object and slice it off with an implied intersection to make a 2D pattern, which
I can then use to...Oy!

Not only that, but my experiments so far indicate that the positioning of the
text on the cylinder's surface will be a matter of much hassle and fudging.
Apparently there is no other way. Perhaps it would be smarter to create text as
an external graphic and lay that down with one of the other methods.

By the way, strlen() returns a float? I have only been doing this C stuff for 25
years or so, but a float?!? And in the last 32 years I can't recall coming
across any language spec where the builtins were index by their return type as
opposed to the operational group to which they belonged. String length is
related to strings. And the length should be a character count instead of some
graphic index, eh? Perhaps a different name, like <float> StringGraphicLength()
or something.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I am at an impasse here. Gonna hafta use
a JPEG image for my text. Easier.