POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nanocover : Nanocover Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Nanocover
From: Rune
Date: 13 Oct 2007 06:49:42
Message: <4710a2c6$1@news.povray.org>
Nanotechnology has been pretty hyped in recent years with articles in
magazines and even regular newspapers promising engineered materials with
fantastic properties in the future. However, I though it was still strictly
something in the labs at this point and not ready for commercialization yet.

And then, some weeks ago, a company called Nanocover has been showing TV
commercials in national TV about their nanocover products, available right
here and right now, and looking almost unbelievable, just like you'd
imagine. Their commercial shows a white sofa lowered down in a red liquid
and then lifted up again, still completely white. In the end we see the arm
of a (supposed) scientist brushing a few remaining red drops off the sofa
with his coat sleeve, and they just slide off like small balls, leaving no
trail.

http://www.nanocover.com

They have products to repel water, oil and dirt, other products to avoid
mist on glass and mirrors, products for fire protection and various other
things. There are separate products designed to bind to different
materials - textile, steel, wood, plastic etc.

You can read about the products in the Danish, Norwegian and English
versions of the site while the German version has no information yet. It
seems that products can only actually be bought in Denmark so far, but they
are working on it for the three other countries too (and many more I
presume). It's not even very expensive (prices are listed in the Danish and
Norwegian versions of the site only). I'd try it out, if it wasn't for the
fact that the safety measures for spraying the stuff only things make it
somewhat cumbersome, but then again, not much more cumbersome than if you
want to paint some furniture or something.

The commercial can be seen here:
http://www.nanocover.dk/om_nanocover/reklamefilm/nanocover_tekstil__laeder_.html

So, the nanotechnologic future is here...?

Rune