POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 12 Oct 2007 13:11:36
Message: <470faac8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> No. Our normal *lab* environment. ;-) The *office* just runs Word and
>> Access. (And the guys in the lab insist on using Excel a lot...)
>
> And I expect the guys in the office often want to include fancy graphics
> into their Word documents, perhaps just company logos on a letter, or
> photos/diagrams in a report.

Not really, no.

Just chromatagrams. I gather that they're quite large... (Well, the data
is almost always very noisy.)

> All of which rapidly use up memory and
> which would slow down hugely on a very slow machine.
>
> Sure, they could use a plain text editor on an ancient machine with 32K
> of RAM, but it's not going to look very professional.

My point is not so much that we should go back to using 32K machines,
but rather that we should go back to the days of programs only using
more than 32K if they *need* it for something. ;-)