POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 Oct 2007 11:51:45
Message: <470f9811@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> Where do you get this "proper boot CD" form btw?
>>
>>  Almost any linux installer CD will do.
>
> What, to remove the admin password of a WinXP installation?  Would be
> useful to know how to do that occasionally.

Something like BartPE would let you do the same with a Windows Live CD.
If you like Linux, Knoppix STD comes with password tools.

>>  Speaking of disk encryption, I just saw this:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=873&num=1
>>
>>  Not that it's really relevant to the discussion, but I found it
>> fitting. :)
>
> Interesting.  I also always wondered what would happen if you were
> involved with some illegal activity (even just piracy) and got your PC
> taken away by the police.  If it was encrypted then presumably they
> would try to force you to tell them how to decrypt it - what if you
> refused?  I guess it depends on the country.

Law enforcement can get a subpoena or warrant for keys to a safe. I
suspect that in many countries they would treat a password the same.
Failing to turn over the password might have worse consequences, since a
contempt of court charge would just leave someone sitting in jail until
they turned over the password.