POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Oct 2007 21:04:55
Message: <470ec837$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Unless your particular encryption system works transparently to the user
> for each account automatically (like it does in Win XP).

First, you can't force a reset of a password on XP without already
having the root password. I.e., an admin can reset someone else's
password, but you have to already be logged in as admin. You can't do it
from a regular boot CD.

Second, resetting the password loses the encryption key, so it doesn't
get you encrypted files either.

However, you might be able to change the password on someone's account
and then use that account to get remote access to drive shares. I'm
pretty sure they closed this hole in XP, but I think it was there in 2000.

Certainly on Linux, as root, you can do things with NFS mounts that get
you bypassing security there.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we