POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Oct 2007 19:26:19
Message: <470d5f9b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Resetting the root password from local console is not a security hole.
> It's regular maintenance. It's by design.

Possibly, depending on how you think about it.  It certainly makes for
insecure personal desktop computers in a corporate environment, for
example.

>   There's no such a thing as security if you have physical access to the
> computer.

Sure there is. Otherwise, why would anyone build encrypting disk
drivers, mandatory access control, etc?

> It doesn't matter which OS you are using.

This would be factually incorrect also, unless you believe ...

> Heck, you can take
> a sledgehammer and bring down the system with it.

... counts as "insecure."

>   The point in security is whether the system can be hacked remotely.

I think you're overgeneralizing.  I think it's because security isn't a
binary property of a system.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we