POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Warp
Date: 10 Oct 2007 14:43:55
Message: <470d1d6b@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   People who don't know how to use linux shouldn't use it, IMO.

> Well, *that* would lead to widespread adoption, wouldn't it?

  I remember reading somewhere a list of common misconceptions about linux.
IIRC one of them went something like "linux developers and advocates are
trying very hard to get linux into mainstream, to make it widely adopted".

  Yes, while *some* really have that mentality, it's still a misconception.
Linux developers and advocates couldn't care less if someone else uses
linux. They are making linux for *themselves*, not for everybody. They are
not competing for market share. They just want to make a good alternative
to commercial OSes. One which they like to use (not one which appeals to
the masses).

  I tend to agree with that.

> >   Just a couple of days ago someone in irc commented that he needed
> > to reinstall linux because he had forgotten the root password. Well,
> > someone who knew better saved him some hours of useless work.

> People who don't know the security holes in Linux shouldn't forget their
> root password?  >8)

  Resetting the root password from local console is not a security hole.
It's regular maintenance. It's by design.

  There's no such a thing as security if you have physical access to the
computer. It doesn't matter which OS you are using. Heck, you can take
a sledgehammer and bring down the system with it.

  The point in security is whether the system can be hacked remotely.

--
                                                          - Warp