POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rain problem : Re: Rain problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rain problem
From: Rune
Date: 10 Oct 2007 07:29:54
Message: <470cb7b2$1@news.povray.org>
"JS" wrote:
> At the moment I'm working on a scene where there's rain but can't work out
> way to get it done right without the scene taking forever to render. Using
> loop takes to long to place a drop of rain everywhere

Perhaps have a look at my post "Flying though space" in
povray.binaries.images.

Though the effect was made with particles in space in mind, it should work
well for rain drops too. What is does is to create particles only in the
area around the camera. This would probably work well to create all the
visible rain drops. You can then combine it with media as the others here
have mentioned (or other tricks) to also simulate the overall rainy
atmosphere at long distance.

By the way - note that Gilles Tran's famous rainy city image "The Wet Bird"
was made without having any rain drops in the scene at all - it's all made
with wet looking textures combined with the right atmosphere.

Rune