POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rain problem : Re: Rain problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rain problem
From: Alain
Date: 9 Oct 2007 20:15:25
Message: <470c199d$1@news.povray.org>
JS nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/09 18:04:
> Hi.
>
> At the moment I'm working on a scene where there's rain but can't work out a
> way to get it done right without the scene taking forever to render. Using a
> loop takes to long to place a drop of rain everywhere, and modifying the
> camera texture to overlay rain is close but doesn't look quite right since
> I want the rain drops everywhere (i.e. behind and in front of objects).
The camera normal trick is good to simulate drops sticking on the camera's
objective, not for the overall rain. You can use that in conjunction with other
techniques.

> Also, what is the right way to do wet skin for my mannequins? The simple way
> is to layer a transparent and reflective texture over the skin texture but
> if there was a better way, I'd like to hear it please. Some of the skin
> textures have patterns which can't be layered with the non-patterned water
> texture, so that's another problem.
You may add some finish to the whole texture:
texture{Objects_Texture finish {specular 0.2 roughness 0.1}}
This will override any specular that may be present it that texture.
You can replace specular and roughness with phong and phong_size if you prefer.

Do you have access to those texture? If so, try to edit it's finish or add some
layer.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> You know you've been raytracing too long...when you go to change the real
> world's texture and realize you can't.

Only use individual drops for those close enough to the camera to actualy be
distinctly seen, probably less than 100.
For the rest, using some media and fog is the favored way. For example, you can
use a crackle pattern with a density_map that is mostly zero and that spikes to
a large value over a small range of values. Optionaly stretch it to simulate
motion bluring of the drops. Place that media in a container to prevent it to
ocupy the space beyhond where you can actualy see the specks it provide, gaining
speed.
For the rest, use fog, unless you need your rain to interact with your light.

--
Alain
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.