POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2007 18:51:10
Message: <470ab45e@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> It is more precise to say that the lower the level of the code language,
> the more closely optimum performance can be achieved on a specific
> hardware platform.

I think that's only true in theory. As in, "anything a computer can
calculate, a human can calculate too", except that humans make mistakes
and get bored and can't think fast enough to actually finish the
calculation before the fly-by-wire unstable jet aircraft plows into the
mountainside.

Humans are notoriously bad at guessing where the time in their programs
go, and notoriously bad at keeping track of things like whether the
value in R147 is going to be needed before the value in R93 is.

And if a compiler already generates optimum code, you obviously can't
improve on it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we