POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:33:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: Shay
Date: 8 Oct 2007 14:59:03
Message: <470a7df7$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> 2. Turn POV-Ray into a "pure" rendering library, <snip>
> Problem 1: there's already some lively competition (Yafray, Indigo,
> Kerkythingie...) in the "pure" renderer field.

IMO, any renderer with a shader language is not a "pure" renderer. "Drag
and drop" might be great for some surface shader effects, but will not
create as many WOW shaders as are possible with programming.

Geometry tweaking is, with some models, as important as shader tweaking.
I have created nice models which would look like crap with *any* kind of
algorithmic vertex normal scheme. Yafray, AFAIK, doesn't even allow
explicit definition of vertex normals!

I'm assuming from your Problem 2:

> Problem 2: will it be possible to keep intact the original simplicity
> and human-writeability of the SDL without excluding the non-programmer
> users?

... that by "Turn POV-Ray into a "pure" rendering library", you in fact
mean "Turn POV_Ray into a 'pure(ish)' rendering library with a bit of
accessible tweakability." Doing so would keep POV in a different
category from the competition.

And as far as Problem 2, yes it will be possible if all potential
additions to the SDL are very carefully measured by their utility in
creating WOW pictures.

> Problem 3: the attractiveness (to users and programmers) of the software
> is linked to its attractiveness to artists able to create WOW pictures.
> Now, a language too "programmy" is going to limit those to the smaller
> population of good artists that are also serious programmers.

Exactly. I believe that POV-Ray should be a "pureish" renderer with nice
Blender or Wings integration and the additional feature of accessible
tweakability and scene scripting. The hand-coding contingent will figure
out a way to do what we want to do with whatever the SDL becomes.

  -Shay