POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Oct 2007 13:32:15
Message: <470a699f$1@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, if you define the test criteria correctly, you can make anybody
win. ;-)

Back when the old Amiga was around, it used to amuse me to compare how a
16 MHz PC running Windoze 3 would crawl along compared to my dad's 4 MHz
Amiga. Not to mention that the Amiga had vastly superior graphics and
sound, and a true premptive multitasking operating system, and basically
a PC couldn't compare to it on any scale.

And then I discovered FractInt and POV-Ray, and the benefit of a 16 MHz
processor became apparent. ;-)

I still wonder though - what if people wrote code today like they used
to write it back then? How much more stuff could we get done? Even
Debian Linux *crawls* along on an Amiga, and everybody says how Linux is
much more efficient than Windoze. But clearly it's no match for AmigaOS,
so.....

This one amused me though:

"The lower the level of the code language, the less processing cycles
are required to get something done."

Obviously this is demonstratably false.