POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: andrel
Date: 8 Oct 2007 15:37:51
Message: <470A8811.1020503@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:
> Gilles Tran wrote:
>> 2. Turn POV-Ray into a "pure" rendering library, <snip> Problem 1:
>> there's already some lively competition (Yafray, Indigo,
>> Kerkythingie...) in the "pure" renderer field.
>
> IMO, any renderer with a shader language is not a "pure" renderer. "Drag
> and drop" might be great for some surface shader effects, but will not
> create as many WOW shaders as are possible with programming.
>
> Geometry tweaking is, with some models, as important as shader tweaking.
> I have created nice models which would look like crap with *any* kind of
> algorithmic vertex normal scheme. Yafray, AFAIK, doesn't even allow
> explicit definition of vertex normals!
>
> I'm assuming from your Problem 2:
>
>> Problem 2: will it be possible to keep intact the original simplicity
>> and human-writeability of the SDL without excluding the non-programmer
>> users?
>
> ... that by "Turn POV-Ray into a "pure" rendering library", you in fact
> mean "Turn POV_Ray into a 'pure(ish)' rendering library with a bit of
> accessible tweakability." Doing so would keep POV in a different
> category from the competition.
>
> And as far as Problem 2, yes it will be possible if all potential
> additions to the SDL are very carefully measured by their utility in
> creating WOW pictures.
>
>> Problem 3: the attractiveness (to users and programmers) of the software
>> is linked to its attractiveness to artists able to create WOW pictures.
>> Now, a language too "programmy" is going to limit those to the smaller
>> population of good artists that are also serious programmers.
>
> Exactly. I believe that POV-Ray should be a "pureish" renderer with nice
> Blender or Wings integration and the additional feature of accessible
> tweakability and scene scripting. The hand-coding contingent will figure
> out a way to do what we want to do with whatever the SDL becomes.

Not much to add to my fellow-geek here ;)
I only want to stress again that POV as it is now, and even more is it
will be as POV4 is a fantastic tool to use in highschool math and
physics classes. Nobody likes geometry (well nearly nobody except for us
geeks) but if you want to build a chandelier for your virtual barbie
hous, you do want your two torus sections to match up perfectly. If you
build a car (or import one from a library) you do want to let the wheels
behave physically correct when driving and when turning a corner.

As to what my solutions to some of Gilles problems are: Create
(maintain) a simple POV4 SDL understandable for highschool kids. Add
features of ordinary languages (assignment (or binding), functions, flow
control things etc). Add support for multiple camera's, our beloved
raytracer but also a fast scanline/DirectX/whatever previewer that
accepts the same scenes but without reflections and such. Make it
flexible enough to build a third party GUI or enhance Moray. That should
do it.

So who is going to write that book and interactive course for POV4?