POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray beta updates : Re: POV-Ray beta updates Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray beta updates
From: Dre
Date: 7 Oct 2007 22:49:41
Message: <47099ac5@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Dre nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/07 18:39:
>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>>>  Sweet (but childish) revenge?
>>>
>>> --
>>>                                                          - Warp
>>
>> Not at all, I have no reason to have "revenge" on Pov, it hasn't done
>> anything to me!
>>
>> I just cannot be bothered having to revert/reinstall older version when
>> the time limit runs out just so I can keep working.  If the time limit
>> were to be removed I would have no hesitation to use the beta's.
>>
>> Cheers Dre
> POV-Ray 3.7 is not meant to replace the standard install. You can do as I
> do: under the bin folder, create a beta folder. Unzip the beta there. Keep
> a shortcut for the regular version and one for the beta.
> That way, you always have both working versions available. No need to
> revert/reinstall the non-beta version when the beta expires.
>
> --
> Alain
> Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.

Thats fine, but then which version fires up when I say open a .pov file in
explorer??  Depends on the file association.  I dont want to have to check
whether its version 3.6 or 3.7b everytime so what if its set to 3.6, then it
wont use 3.7, if its set to 3.7, then when it runs out, my associations
break.   Or if I have the association set to 3.6, I have 3.7 open, then
flick back to windows explorer, double click on a different .pov and it
opens up in 3.6, not in 3.7, pita.  There are *many* more examples.

All stuff I dont want to waste my (precious) spare time with so hence wont
use betas that time out.

Cheers Dre