POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'Limited' light_source? : Re: 'Limited' light_source? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:51:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Limited' light_source?
From: Rune
Date: 7 Oct 2007 08:20:39
Message: <4708cf17$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" wrote:
> Rune wrote:
>> Actually no, you just said "regarldess of distance", not mentioning any
>> maximum distance at all.
>
>  What I said was "are you sure that shadow tests are always done with a
> fading light regardless of distance". Or in other words, "are you sure
> POV-Ray doesn't have a check that if a fading light source is far enough,
> it doesn't skip doing shadow tests".
>
>  I don't really understand how you misunderstood what I said.

I didn't misunderstand anything, but are using expressions that are not well
defined.

>> How would you define "the maximum distance the
>> light source would have an effect from"?
>
>  With a simple mathematical formula. From the light source parameters
> you can calculate what is the distance at which the effect of the light
> source drops below negligible.

You didn't answer the question, so I ask again: What is negligible? Anything
below the ADC-bailout threshold? Or the
floating point precision error threshold? Or the internal EPSILON threshold?

And what if there are many light_sources close to each other, so that any
single one is negligible at distance X, but combined their effect is
significant?

Rune