POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'Limited' light_source? : Re: 'Limited' light_source? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Limited' light_source?
From: Rune
Date: 7 Oct 2007 06:31:55
Message: <4708b59b$1@news.povray.org>
news:4708a923@news.povray.org...
> Rune <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
>> >  (Btw, are you sure shadow testing is done for fading lights regarldess
>> > of distance?)
>
>> Diffuse lighting without shadow testing is meaningless when the
>> shadowless
>> keyword is not used. Why would you even ask a question like that?
>
>  I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here.
>
>  What I asked is if he is sure that shadow tests are really performed
> for fading lights which are farther away from the current point than the
> maximum distance the light source would have an effect from.

Actually no, you just said "regarldess of distance", not mentioning any
maximum distance at all. How would you define "the maximum distance the
light source would have an effect from"? Using the ADC-bailout threshold? Or
floating point precision error threshold? Or...? It's not at all clear what
you're talking about.

Rune